Wednesday, February 1, 2012

D - day

I am not a festive person. There are very few holidays that I enjoy, and of that list I still dread celebrating them. If you thought I hated Christmas you haven't seen me around Valentines day, or as my friends and I cleverly renamed it D-day.

I cringe at the thought of couples having another excuse to show their public displays of affection. Why is this day so commercialized anyway. One shouldn't wait for a day to show their love. If you ask me the whole holiday is a scam created by Hallmark to make a profit.

That might sound cynical, but what do you expect from a girl who has never celebrated Valentine's day with a boyfriend. That's right I have pretty much been single for the last 19 years. After all I've never had any serious boyfriends. Usually my perpetually single lifestyle doesn't bother me, but every year like clock work, only four days before my birthday I have all my single girl swag crushed by the pink and red aisle in Target.

Thankfully this year my single friends and I have devised a plan. It involves staying in eating our weight in candy and watching violent slasher movies. Festive I know. The only thing I hope now is that I don't work. Nothing screams single loser like working at Chipotle on V-day.

Love, bear

1 comment:

  1. I just like you have a bitter view on most of the holidays. I have had many Christmas's in my adult life that have not ended in a Normal Rockwell picturesque mural. I can remember shouting and crying, people not eating together or eating in their bedrooms. If not for JD and coke zero I think I would cancel X-Mas all together.

    My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving. No religion, no presents, no special mass, no blessing needed, just food, football and naps. Can't ask for anything better but four glorious days of gluttony.

    July fourth is also a great holiday, but it comes in the summer and you know how attractive humidity looks on a big guy.

    I am not one for these card holidays either, but I did always enjoy getting for you, your mother and my mom a single chocolate rose each year. I never stopped telling all of the girls in my life how much you meant to me, but on that day it felt just a little bit extra.

    Working on V-day doesn't scream loser, double dating with your parents so they can pick up the bill on V-day screams it.

    love always Dad.

    ReplyDelete